Friday, October 9, 2009

Reg.#817, Cst. Andrew Edlington, NWMP

Hey Joe,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I now see that your (SOS) 'Struck Off Strength' date for Cst. Edginton is 1883 which makes sense. At first, I read his SOS date as 1893, thus my confusion.

Reg.# 2266, Ernest 'Shorty' Jewell was my great grandfather who was posted to Ft. Saskatchewan in 1889. Originally from England, he died in the early 1940's.  I think 'Shorty comes from the fact that he was well over 6' tall. 'Shorty' is buried in Fort Fitzgerald, 20 minutes south of the NWT border.

Reg.#49673, Cst. Anthony Fitzgerald Gordon (+Killed at Mayerthorpe, AB) would be a great grandson to 'Shorty Jewell on his mothers side.  Tony Gordon was also over 6' 4" or 5, I think.

With respect to maintenance of grave sites, I'll have a peak through policy when I get a chance.

Thanks again for your efforts, you obviously have a vast data base.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685