Monday, October 5, 2009

My grandfather, Reg.#5482, Frank Crossley

Hi Joe,
A few years ago I visited my grandfather's grave site in Royal Oaks Cemetery in Victoria, B.C. He is buried in Section 0, Plot 177, Grave #7. At that time, I noted that there is nothing denoting the fact that he was one of the first RCMP members of Canada. My siblings and myself would very much like to see some sort of RCMP marking on his grave as I think he was proud of his life's work.

My grandfather first served with the RNWMP from about 1910 and when it changed to the RCMP he continued to work till 1920. During this time he also served in WWI in France as a private with the Lord Strathcona Horsemen. He was in the last battle fought on horseback during WWI. His service number during this time was #2684073 as a private, and his war service badge was Class A, #186252.

When he returned to Canada he was discharged from the RCMP on June 3, 1920 and on June 7, 1920 he joined the Alberta Provincial Police (APP) -- first as a constable, then corporal and then a sergeant . He rejoined the RCMP on April 1, 1932 and retired on January 31, 1944.

Your attention to this matter would be very much appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.

Kathy
Nova Scotia

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathy,

    Thank you for a great news story about your granddad, Reg.#5482.

    I have filled in some of the blanks in my database by using some of your data, plus other data from history files which are maintained by our Vet Jack White. You will see all the information which we have when I upload the database to the web later this week.

    I will also explore venders in the Victoria area who can supply you with details about an RCMP stone with the crest of the Force.

    Give me a few days and I'll write again.

    Yours truly,

    Joe
    #23685
    'Maintain Our Memories'

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685