Friday, October 2, 2009

Reg.#7988, William Christopher Apted

Hi Joe,

I have come across something startling and very puzzling to me in your list of deceased members buried in the Vancouver area.

One of the names in your database, I am sure, is my uncle William Christopher Apted. I never knew my uncle as a member of the RNWMP force, I always knew him as being a commercial fisherman. Compare the following...

I do have my uncle's death registration record which states he was a fisherman for ten years, he died at the age of 54 from lung cancer, he died in Vancouver October 10,1952, and he is buried in the Forrest Lawn Cemetery in Burnaby B.C.

Now, he could very well have been a policeman in the earlier years and no one ever talked about it. Perhaps he changed his profession when he married my aunt Sadie (Sarah). Were RCMP officers allowed to be married? I know in the early days some police forces didn't allow marriage. I was close to their son Stuart Apted (now deseased) who was a Warden at one of the prisons here until he was injured. He never mentioned his dad being in the police force, but then we seldom spoke of him.

I am sure the man you have my uncle in your databsse, the only discrepancy is the year of his death. You have him dying October 23,1962, but my uncle died October 23,1952. I was a young child at the time so I don't remember him, but his son was a special person.

I would appreciate it if you have anything to clarify this?

I'm in Vancouver tomorrow so will get some photos for you including L.W.Herchmer.

Regards
Linda
Friend of the Force

1 comment:

  1. Hi Linda,

    You are right! I did make a mistake with his date of death.

    Reg.#7988 William Christopher Apted joined the Royal North West Mounted Police (RNWMP) on June 16, 1919. On July 16, 1919 he was charged in RNWMP court with being Absent from Duty and he was fined $3.00 by the Officer In Charge, a Supt. Worsley.

    Afterwards, he was also hurt while on duty and thus he was allowed to quit the RNWMP as an invalid on August 4, 1919. He died on October 23, 1952 at age 52 and he’s buried in Vancouver, BC

    This data is from the files of a Vet. friend (retired RCMP) Jack White

    So, you are connected to the RCMP! I’ll correct my database, but thanks for your eagle eyes!

    Yours truly,
    Joe
    Ottawa

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685