Thursday, October 8, 2009

Reg.# 817, Cst. Andrews Edington

Hi Joe,

Nice work on this site.

I don't mean to cause a fuss, but I'm wondering if the Reg.# is right for Cst. Edington if they started numerically. My G/G father was NWMP joining in 1889 and his Reg.# was 2266. I would think that it possibly could be 2817.
My g/g father is buried in Fort Fitgerald, AB.

I had always understood there was budget money for maintaing these graves sites at detachment levels and if so, his is been grossly overlooked since I was last there 3 years ago.

On a sad note, his g/g grandson was one of the members killed in Mayerthorpe in 2005.

Thanks for the work on the site, its nicely done.

Steve,
sitnbull68@hotmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Dear Friend,

    Thank you for a fascinating note.

    One of my friends in BC (Vet Jack White) maintains an interesting History File on Vet members of the Force. I have checked his database and confirmed that the Regimental #817 does belong to Cst. Andrew Edlington.

    We can also tell you that Cst. Edington joined the NWMP on May 7, 1882. He 'retired' or left the Force on January 12, 1883 and he died in 1948. He spent his days in the Force in Regina, SK. Mr. White's file shows that Cst. Edington is buried in Parkhead, Ontario.

    Reg.#2266 belonged to E.B. 'Shorty' Jewell and Reg.#2817 belonged to Cst. Herbert-Stepney.

    Can you tell me if one of those names was your great grandfather or something about him? Which of the Mayerthorpe members was he related to?

    I'll drop you another note to discuss the maintenance of RCMP graves.

    Please keep in touch,

    Yours truly,

    Joe
    #23685

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685