Wednesday, October 28, 2009

In Memory of: Newfoundland Rangers

Good Morning Joe,

I read this morning with interest Bob Medd's submission regarding Reg. No. 16167 S/Sgt. J.J. Hogan. I remember Staff Hogan very well, along with many of the other ex Newfoundland Rangers who came to the Force when the Province joined Confederation.

All fine men indeed and could perhaps be considered as the hub, or "Corporate Knowledge" of "B" Division. Mead's article spurred me into doing a little on-line research about the Ranger Force and I found many interesting articles, anecdotes and stories.

Of particular interest is the fact that in 1968, the 'Ranger' Force Veterans formed their own Association. Over the years they have set up a perpetual fund which (now) provides three scholarships per year to Memorial University for young Newfoundlanders. A remarkable feat for these veterans of a Force totalling 204 members, never at any time greater than 74, and only in existence for 15 years. (1935-1950)

Sadly, I also read that due to thinning ranks and the difficulties in mobility for some, the Association is, as of the end of August 2009, inactive.

Very best wishes to all members of the Newfoundland Rangers Association!

Dave Bland
Reg.#20342 (Rtd)
Richmond Hill ON.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave,

    Thanks for a very informative note. I've taken the liberty to post it on our BuffaloBlog.

    You brought out a little history of the Rangers which I did not know and I'm sure it will of interest to many other readers especially those who have served in 'B' Div.

    I appreciate that you took the time to write.

    Yours truly,

    Joe
    #23685

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685