Monday, October 5, 2009

Reg.#3948, Sgt. S. Selig and Reg.#5548, Cst. A. Lamont

Good morning Joe,
I just read the article on the RCMP Graves. I was stationed in the NWT from 1998 to 2009 and during that time had the honor to visit several grave sites.

In particular the site located on Herschel Island where two members are buried:
Reg.#3948, Sgt. Stafford Selig and,
Reg.#5548 Cst. Alexander Lamont


I was part of a yearly patrol to Herschel via Police Vessel. During the visits we noted that the grave site, located on a hill above the old detachment, was becoming rundown.

As a result the fences around the graves were rebuilt in 2006. Present and participating were the following:
Rtd. S/Sgt. Jack KRUGER,
S/Sgt. Mike BRANDFORD,
Cst. Karla George,
Ross POTTER, Coast Guard Aux.,
Squadron 440, DND and the Twin Otter pilots, also assisted in hauling the new fence up the hill.

The graves are visited yearly by members of the patrol. Attached are current photos of the site. One as an overall, two separate and the view of Pauline Cove and the mainland from the site.

Insp. JB (John) Milner
OIC Protective Services
Toronto North Detachment
"O" Division

cc: database.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John,
    Thanks for your e-notes and also for the snaps. I posted one photo on our BuffaloBlog and I’ll post the remainder soon.

    The photo link of Sgt. Selig's grave on my database was broken but I’ve now got it working…I've added you as a contributor as I had previous photos of Sgt. Selig and Cst. Lamont.

    You did a great job fixing and painting the fences.

    Let’s keep in touch and thanks again for your interest in the Program.

    Yours truly,

    Joe
    #23685

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685