Sunday, November 1, 2009

In Memory of: Reg.#3948, Sgt. Stafford Selig


Dear Buffalo Joe,

I was thrilled to find your website that has information about my late great, great uncle Sgt. Stafford Selig, Reg # 3948.

During my training at 'Depot' (Aug 2002- Jan 2003) I received a photograph from my aunt in Ontario that showed Uncle Selig in uniform and sitting on a horse. He was at the rank of Cpl. at the time.

My aunt asked me if I could find out any more information about him. Much to my surprise, his name was on a plaque on the wall in the RCMP Chapel.

I went on to find out that he is buried at Hershel Island. It is my hope some day to go up on one of the annual maintenance trips to his grave site and help maintain his legacy...

Thanks for the great information!

Cst. Nancy (Witty) Howell
RCMP Gander

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,

    What a great note and I thank you!

    I began the idea for this website before I retired in 2001. Over the years it has given me great comfort and satisfaction to continue its work along with many, many Vets...and your acknowledgement sure helps. So, thanks again.

    Two/three things come to mind; first, how much do you know about your GG uncle Stafford...for example, do you know his cause of death? A Vet friend of mine in 'E' div. keeps historical files on many of our members and today I took a peek at Ret.#3948 and learned more about him.

    Secondly, you gotta send me your pic in uniform so that I can include it on his database file. As well, can you could send me a copy of his pic on the horse and tell me more about the plaque in the Chapel at 'Depot'? How about your Aunt, did she know your GG uncle? Can we get a quote or a pic of her also?

    Please keep in touch,

    Your truly,

    Joe
    #23685
    'G' Troop 1964 -- Best damn Troop to ever enter the Drill Hall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I was on Herschel Island last summer and saw the grave of Sgt. Stafford Selig, Reg # 3948. What can you tel me about his death? Trying to find this information on this blog, as it appears you may have posted it before, but no luck. cameron.dueck@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685