Sunday, October 10, 2010

NWMP Reg.# 3679, Constable James S. Mullan

Hi, Joe.

Great item in the Ottawa Citizen! And a great job you are doing!

Someone from Harvey, NB told me they met and talked to an RCMP Veteran at the Harvey Station Cemetery several years ago who was looking for RCMP graves. Didn't take long to ascertain that it was you!

I am enclosing an obituary I turned up in family tree research years ago. James S. Mullan was an uncle of mine by marriage. Several years ago I was in Norwood visiting my daughter and took the opportunity to walk through a large cemetery there looking for his grave. No luck.

I have a note I wrote to myself years ago showing him as engaging on 18-4-1900 and being discharged on 20-8-1902. I may have gotten those dates from Force personnel records but I am not sure now, although I don't know how else I would have obtained them. In any event, you will see that those dates do not correspond with the information contained in the obituary - including being a member of the first detachment at the White Horse Pass.

If those dates are correct he may have embellished the details of his service and thus led his obit writer astray. I just don't know.

Perhaps he met Robert Service and decided to create a little fiction to emulate him!

Anyway - obit forwarded. Use information as you see fit.

Best regards!

Ellis Craig, Superintendent. (R'td)
Reg.#18995

'Maintain Our Memories'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685