Thursday, March 22, 2012

In Memory of a Tailor - an Expert, Italian Tailor


In Memory of a Tailor - an Expert, Italian Tailor
and a Friend
'Friends Not Forgotten'
From my notebook...

Many years ago, there arrived on the shores of Vancouver, BC an Italian family who was to become extremely well known throughout the world of the RCMP. It was 1965. The family name was Gastaldo.

The family consisted of Mr and Mrs Gastaldo Sr, three sons and two daughters. It seemed like it was only a day or two after they arrived that I met the family for the first time at the little church, 'Our Lady of Fatima' which sits at the corner of Kingsway and 10th Ave., New Westminster, BC.

The entire Gastaldo family and I became quick friends. They needed help to speak English. The three boys joined the church choir. It was an opportunity to quickly learn English and mingle with new Canadian friends. 

The Gastaldo trio of boys were the first, first class tenors before those other guys came along.

The family was made to feel comfortable in the church as well as in the homes of friends who also shared a love for music. It was at this time also, that Corrado met his future wife Leona.

Corrado Gastaldo was one of the three boys. I'm sure he and I were about the same age -- maybe 21 years. Upon first meeting Corado, I did not realize that he was a professional tailor -- but the fact was soon revealed and well proven.

It wasn't long before Corrado opened a small tailor shop on Kingsway just south of 10th Ave. In the early days, Corrado managed the front office, took measurements and chatted with customers. Business from the Burnaby Detachment was very good.

Corrado's sister Clare, another sister and her husband worked in the tailoring department. I was Corrado's first customer and thus I was invited to their wedding -- it was a spalsh with Italian food and drink of the kind that I had not seen in New Brunswick!

Frank Richter was another of Corrado's first customers. One day in '66, he and I went into Corrado's shop to order new suits. We had been invited to participate in Don Arndt's RCMP wedding in Kitchener, Ontario at which time we would wear Walking Out Order, but, prior to the trip, Frank and I thought we'd buy new duds from Corrado.

In short jig, Corrado made the tailored suits. Frank and I paid up and drove east for the wedding. We got Don married to Judy, and afterwards, Frank and I decided to visit Expo in Montreal, QC. While we were in Montreal, Frank's car was broken into and all our clothes were stolen -- including our new suits tailored by Corrado!

Soon Corrado and Leona started their family -- and over the years, I watched each of their children join the Force. Even though I had been transferred, I kept in touch with the Gastaldo's and Corrado's tailoring business flourished in the RCMP world as his reputation for excellence became better known.

The Gastaldo Shop gained in popularity because Corraldo also specialized in making unique badges for the RCMP uniform. Upon receiving their Commission,  many Officers across Canada would order their new Cap Badge from Corrado's shop. Did I mention that mine received a little more precious gold braid?

On my last visit to the Vancouver area, about three years ago, Cathy and I spent an afternoon in Corrado's Tailor Shop with the family. We were very distressed to learn at that time that Corrado had Alzheimers and required hospitalization. He did not know me.

Today, I received sad news from Burnaby Detachment's S/S/M/ John Buis. 

Corrado Gastaldo, one of my earliest and closest friends from Burnaby days has died. He and Leona were so absolutely proud of their children because they had joined the Force. And I was also proud for him. I saw each of the children grow and develop RCMP careers. 

My wife and I are visiting Montreal again soon. Each time I'm in the city, I recall Corrado -- I keep alert and a sharp eye out for my suit!

I am a person of strong hope. But, some days, I think that life just goes downhill after one is born. Today is one of those days.

Corrado's funeral is this week. It's best for him that way. I think.

'Maintain Our Memories'

J. J. Healy,
Reg.#23685

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685