Monday, March 12, 2012

Daniel Today a reader replies ...


Daniel. Today a reader replies ...

'Friends Not Forgotten'

Hi Joe: ----- Just a personal note on your tribute to 'Daniel'. 

I have read your tribute many times and also took it to my local coffee shop, where I shared the story with others. 

Daniel, truly a man of mystery. A man you know so little of.  But, the unspoken word tells a story of loneliness and, perhaps a life filled with emptiness. For reasons probably known only to Daniel, he chose to live his life in a world of silence with no indication of what might have caused his sorrow.

Daniel is now gone but, he did not leave unnoticed. Yur story reminds me of the years I spent as an investigator, when I often ate at restaurants along the way. One day, I stopped at a small diner. While at the table, I looked at the placemat and read the following, which relates to this situation:-- 

                                        "I shall pass through this life
                                          but once,
                                          If, therefore, there is any
                                          kindness I can show,
                                          Or any good I can do any
                                          fellow being,
                                          Let me do it now!
                                          Let me not deter or neglect it,
                                          For I shall not pass this way again." 

Unfortunately, there are many "Daniels" in our midst. You can pick them out at coffee shops. They sit alone, slowly "sipping" their coffee while staring into an empty space, only smiling briefly when the waitress offers more coffee. They continue to stare out the shop window.

Perhaps they wonder of the future but more likely, their thoughts are of a dark underlying circumstance of the past. I can personally relate to their situation. Having lived alone for the past 26 years I, too, sit alone, "sipping" my coffee and staring into an empty space. One tries to regain their composure, before someone notices.

Several years ago I visited a prisoner at a local jail. While intoxicated, he had struck a pedestrian on the highway then fled the scene. He spoke very highly of the arresting RCMP Officer, telling me "I was arrested but the Officer treated me with kindness. We sat and talked in my cabin and when he felt I was comfortable, he placed me in the patrol car. It seemed that he had gone through a similar situation himself. He was a really great guy".

This is just one of the great untold stories of "old" Mounties who took the time to speak to those that seem to be down on their luck. 
Thanks Joe for sharing your story of Daniel. 

Best regards,

Dick Pulsifer, Nova Scotia
Vet and Friend of the Force

Dear Mr. Pulsifer,

What a great note and thank you very much. Your story about the RCMP member adds up to the kinds of people whom I also knew...

The thing that reminds me every day about my career in the Force are the incredible men and women whom I teamed with...and the talents which they demonstrated.

Here's a snippet. One of my first trainers in 1965 was Cst. Leo Langlois from Burnaby Det...a wonderful, sincere, hard working and thoughtful police officer who taught me alot about getting along with people. 

He and I walked into a coffee shop on Kingsway one early morning...it was quiet. Leo spotted a woman sitting alone and she recognized Leo...all of a sudden he starts to 'sign' language...he knew that she couldn't talk and the two of them laughed over their friendship...as I recall, she too was down and out.

I was blown away by Leo's ability to 'sign' and the friends he made along the way. My impression and respect for him has always reminded me to give 'a guy or a lady a chance'...we are more lucky than most.

Yours truly,

Joe
Reg.#23685

'Maintain Our Memories'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685