Friday, February 24, 2012

In Memory of Reg.#9330, John Henry Irwin


In Memory of Reg.#9330, John Henry Irwin

'Friends Not Forgotten'

This kind note was recently received from Ms Eleanor (Irwin) McCullagh

Dear Joe;

I have attached two photos of Dad which were taken at 'Depot' in 1920.
It must have been a very tough experience for a 20 year old Irish farm boy, coming by ship to Canada and then training with the RCMP in Regina.  

My Dad had already served as a Motorcyclist with the RAF in 1918 in France, on the front lines before World War I ended. He was posted to Quebec, but became very ill and was sent back to Regina (I imagine that it was quite a trip in 1920). 

We have another photo of Dad, sitting with another unidentified recruit in front of a building (still in use) at 'Depot'.

So our son, RCMP Cst. Stephen McCullagh, posed in the same location as (Reg.#9330) his Grandfather, during his training at 'Depot' in 2003 and we took Steve's picture there too.

Many thanks for your work & efforts to collect this information,

Eleanor (Irwin) McCullagh
***********
And, this note from grandson of Reg.#9330, RCMP Cst. Stephen B. McCullagh,

I only wish that I had a story or two, or had known my grandfather better. He died when I was just 10 years old. As you'd imagine, I have a litany of questions that I'd ask him if he were alive today.

Of his 5 children and 12 grandchildren, I was the only one to continue on with the RCMP.
Yours truly,

Stephen B. McCullagh

'Maintain Our Memories'

J. J. Healy,
Reg.#23685

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685