Saturday, December 4, 2010

Major-General (Commissioner) A.Bowen Perry


The following note was received from Canadian General (Ret) Ramsey Withers. The General's message brings our history alive when one pauses to reflect that he was on Parade at the Royal Military College in 1950 -- at a time when Commissioner Perry was active yet a time so shortly after WWII.

The NWMP, the RNWMP and the RCMP were recepients of great leaders born of RMC. Cadet # 13, known today as Commissioner A. Bowen Perry was one of those insightful leaders.
                                          -----------------
Dear Joe;

Having learned about your outstanding work preserving the RCMPs heritage in the Ottawa Citizen I offer hearty congratulations.

The Citizen article contained the name of Commissioner Perry. He was a member of the first class to enter RMC Kingston in 1876. Known today at "The Old Eighteen". His cadet number is 13.

In October, 1950, I had the honour of being on parade at the College when he was the Reviewing Officer. I remember his fine deportment and erect figure.

All best to you in your work.

RW
                                                      --------------------------------

Reply of Appreciation

Dear General Withers,

First, thank you so much for your kind note and also thank you took the time to drop me a note.

Our history comes alive when you mention the year 1950. You likely were an inspiring Officer at Kingston and I was six years old! The exactness of your recollections of seeing Commissioner Perry at RMC are wonderful because there are so few people alive today that would remember him. Few could recall him as you have done. I too would have liked to have been on that Parade.

Sir; I wish you all my best and I hope that you are doing well. I have added your name to Commissioner Perry's file on the database along with a snippet of your recollections.

Yours truly,

Joe Healy
Retired Superintendent
Ottawa, Ontario

'Maintain Our Memories'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685