Thursday, February 18, 2010

Reg.#14977 / O.542, C/Supt. Louis G. Pantry


Last Post

P.E.I. Div Vets advise that;

Reg.# 14977/O.542 C/Supt. Louis Gwynne 'Lou' Pantry (Rtd) died Feb 17, 2010 at Guelph, ON.

C/Supt. Pantry served from 1943 to 1946 in the Bermuda Volunteer Engineers -- I believe that his father had once been the Commissioner of the Bermuda Police.
C/Supt. Pantry served in the Force from 1947 to 1975 in 'J', 'HQ', 'H', 'M', and 'L' Div's. He retired as CO 'J' Div'. In days gone by, as CO of 'L' and 'J' Div, 'Lou' Pantry was characterized as a professional police officer par one. He was a leader fully respected by his Officers and subordinates. It was also widely known within social circles that on the dance floor, Lou Pantry and his first wife could 'step lightly'. He was a great public speaker and he could hold an audience by embellishing stories of his golf game.

Vets around the country who knew C/Supt. Pantry will miss him. He was a true gentleman from his silver hair down to his spurs. I recall him especially from my years in 'L' Div. during which time C/Supt. Pantry often asked me to be his chauffeur.

In photo (top) then Supt. L. G. Pantry, CO 'L' Div. greets former Prime Minister Trudeau to the Island circa 1972.

Above, CO 'L' Div. Supt. Pantry welcomes former Island Attorney General Gordon Bennett on board the P.V. Nicholson in Charlottetown Harbour. Also in the photo, accompanying Supt. Pantry in Red Serge is Cst. J. J. Healy and to my left is the Nicholson's Skipper Peter Clarke.

C/Supt. Pantry was a Life Member of PEI Div. Vets. In 1998 he received the Caring Canadian Award.

I too will miss him.

JJH

'Maintain Our Memories'

1 comment:

  1. Joe
    I received a call from Ed Burnell this morning with a question as to how he could send you an email; I gave him your email address. Then he mentioned your blog, which I was unaware of, so I went to the site and guided him through. The MArch Spirit has gone to the printer, however it would be of interest to our readers if you could provide me with an article regarding the website and your new BLOG.
    Regards
    Gord Ireland, #22476, Editor, the Spirit

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685