Monday, April 4, 2011

In Memory of Reg.#7388, Cst. R. Cathcart

C A N A D A


In Memory of Reg.#7388,
RNWMP Constable Robert Cathcart

'Friends Not Forgotten'

Reg.#7388, RNWMP Constable Robert Cathcart was born in Belfast, Ireland in 1898. He immigrated to Canada and joined the RNWMP in 1918. He served for one year before he applied and went to South Africa.

Constable Robert Cathcart's gravesite in New Zealand was not known until today -- the following note was received on April 4, 2011 from his son, John Cathcart. Its full content is included here.
 
'Hi,

Robert Cathcart is my father. I came across your web site while researching family. I know my dad left Dublin Ireland around 1914 at the age 16 years and went to Canada. Sometime later, he joined the RNWMP and later on from what I can see he joined the Canadian Siberian Expeditionary Force (CSEF). His military service number was 2772533. (RNWMP Reg.# 7388)

Dad's discharge from war service on July 9, 1919. I do not know if he continued with the police as no records are available.  His service in WWII was as a British Home guard at Stanton Drew, Bristol.

He immigrated to New Zealand in 1957 and died in 1970 age 72 years. Dad's grave in New Zealand is well kept by his 4 surviving children.

I have several photos of dad in his uniform on horseback along with his cap badge.

Regards, John Cathcart'

*A reply has been sent to John Cathcart.

'Maintain Our Memories'

J. J. Healy,
Reg.#23685

1 comment:

  1. Good afternoon Buffalo Joe. My name is Margaret Cathcart and my father is a retired RCMP member (Reg. #17059). He served from 1951 until 1980). He is 83 years old. I came across your website quite by accident and sent the link to my father. He is interested in learning more information about Cst. R. Cathcart (Reg. #7388). He asked that I pass on his e-mail address which is roncathcart@shaw.ca. Dad is also a good resource for information over the span of decades and has some great photos of the earlier days. Of note, Dad retired from Burnaby Detachment where he worked for almost 11 years with Mrs. J. (you have an article on Mrs. J. here as well and my father still continues his friendship with her). Please note the correct spelling of CATHCART (you typed it twice in your article as "Cathgart"). Thanks for this blog, I love a lot of the stories on here. Also, my children's father is a deceased member (Sgt. Robert George Hanes) and I will attempt to complete one of your forms with the relative information. He passed in July of 2003. Regards, Margaret Cathcart

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685