Sunday, June 6, 2010

Mystery of 'Sgt. Stevens': Body guard on Canada's 1939 Royal Tour

Sergeant Stevens : 1939 Royal Tour Bodyguard

Dear Joe;

I'm not an RCMP Vet but still an 'ole' retiree with a special hobby in old letters, stamps and vintage cars.

I'm sending you a photo of an envelope from my collection which was sent to a person living in Toronto in 1939. The envelope shows the writing of someone who identifies a 'Sgt. Stevens' as the sender. Apparently 'Sgt. Stevens' was a body guard for the Royals.

I'm now very curious about 'Sgt. Stevens'. Is it possible for you to find a photo which shows Sergeant Stevens working as an RCMP bodyguard to Their Majesties on the 1939 Royal Tour of Canada?

An additional clue is that 'Sgt. Stevens' was with the Royals throughout their tour in Canada, from Quebec on arrival until their departure.

Is this a tough one?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide to me.

Yours truly,


Stan Atherton
whimsy2@nbnet.nb.ca

Dear Stan;

The 1939 Royal Tour was slightly before my time, but throughout my career with the Force I heard alot of stories about the 1952 Royal Tour. In fact, some of the RCMP members assigned to the '52 Royal Tour (including former Sgt. W. F. MacRae) are living and I've kept in touch with them.

I hope that our readers will find a photo of the 1939 Royal Tour for you which shows Sgt. Stevens in his role as body guard.

This file will remain open...

Yours truly,

Joe
#23685

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685