Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Some Vet grave markers are a sad sight...

C A N A D A


'Some RCMP Grave Markers
A Sad Sight'

The following message was received from a dedicated Vet contibutor. The Vet expresses dismay at the condition of some our deceased member's graves. I think his note is worthy to print.

Dear Joe;

I have attached photographs of the headstone for (...).  What shocked me was the location of his headstone.  I discovered it under an overgrown rhododendron bush. To take the photograph, I had to get a workman to pull back the branches, scrub down the headstone and wash it so I could take a photographs.  My initial impression was that the headstone was pulled down and dragged under a nearby bush.  I am hoping that this was not the case.

I wasn’t going to create a scene but did explain to the cemetery officials that this person was a very notable high ranking member of the NWMP.  As I pointed out to the workman, the Officer joined the NWMP and rose to the very senior ranks.  In addition, he saw action overseas. 

Joe; I know I'm expressing the same frustration as other Vets who care for our Vets graves, but I hope this reminder will have an effect of 'awareness' on all members of the Force.

'Maintain Our Memories'

J. J. Healy
Reg.#23685

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685