Tuesday, June 14, 2011

From the Saddle - The new RCMP/GRC Commissioner

C A N A D A



The RCMP Commissioner's job

For the record, I have no intentions of applying and I haven't been asked but I am curious about how the RCMP Commissioner is chosen for the top job. 

It all began in '64 at 'Depot'. Sgt. Tom Foster told 'G' Troop that we were 'potential material' for the Force's top job. Maybe he fed the same line to every troop? Anyway, if he misled anyone, he's been forgiven.
Still, Sgt. Foster was inspirational so I went back to scrubbing 'Honey' with new vigor. I reasoned, after all, that a very, very clean horse was a sure track to the Commissioner's job. Further, I believed that I could potentially receive a commission at seven years service as my first Commissioner G. B. McClellan supposedly had done. Which reminds me that George B. was very human, a wonderful story teller and he also held a sense of humor. George B. was educated at Royal Military College so he was not a lawyer and he was not born of a wealthy stream. Yet, if offered, he was reputed to enjoy the best of Scotch. 

The story is told that George B. was on an inspection tour of the Yukon. He had also been invited to the Annual Regimental Dinner. When the time came to get dressed, he realized that he had forgotten his 'banana pants'. The CO put a call out to the most stoutly man in the Division. Fortunately, a Corporal fit the bill and gave his pants to George B. with no hesitation. The Commissioner was forever grateful. Too bad, the Corporal never got promoted in spite of his act of mercy. Later, the Corporal's wife never forgot to tell her friends that '...perhaps my husband never went very far in the Force, but his pants went right to the top!'

Back. I am a novice mystery writer today and I'm forever on the search for a good hook. I have read the Commissioner's job description -- it's published by the Senior Personnel and Special Projects Secretariat in Ottawa. The document was of some help, but the thought crossed my mind how lofty it is written. It calls for a miracle and I have never witnessed one. But, I happen to know very special people who are expert at predicting miracles -- no word from them yet.


The paper calls for alot and the job may remain vacant as there are few people, if any, who could fill its wishes. If I had been asked, I would have boiled the whole thing down to one line; 'Canada requires an honest and decisive leader for the Commissioner's job. He or she will easily talk of their broad police experiences, preferably has a graduate degree and is comfortable in multi languages.'

I am proud to say that I've known a few Commissioners down through the years. About eight or nine. I admired the cool thoughtful manner of Commissioner Norman Inkster, O.C. He looked to the future. And, he could stand on his own two feet.

Perhaps I knew Commissioner Murray better. I saw him in action. I admired his experiences and he easily related to a constable on patrol. Commissioner Murray was approachable, very calm in the heat of debate and he had a great memory for recall. He could easily tell a good yarn. I always thought that he was comfortable in his role as Commissioner.

Perhaps I knew Commissioner Busson best. I met her at 'Depot' on her first day of training around '74. We were not close friends but I would count Commissioner Busson as a professional colleague. She always took time to say hi to my wife and me. She was experienced on the operational side. She unquestionably had the strong confidence of her subordinates. She was decisive and not hesitant to confront sensitive issues. She was well educated, an excellent public speaker and she possessed a wonderful sense of humour.  I was extremely proud to call her Commissioner Busson and the remainder of the Force also felt the same emotion. 

The selection for the next Commissioner need not be difficult. Here's a sure recipe to follow. Applicants ought to take a wee bit of Commissioner Insker, a dribble of Commissioner Murray and a drop of Commissioner Busson. This Commissioner's cake will give Canadians all they can enjoy plus the frosting.

At least, that's how I see it from my Saddle.

'Maintain Our Memories'

J. J. Healy,
Reg.#23685


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685