Thursday, January 19, 2012

Between fathers and sons...


Fathers and sons...
Growing Apart & Growing Together

This is a true story about an RCMP member. The incident was told to me five years ago after a young man had found his father's name in the graves database. 

Here is the nub of the young man's e-message:

'Dear Joe;

'...Quite by accident, I found my Dad's name in your database.  My father left my Mom and us kids many years ago. I was about four years old. He had been working with the RCMP out west.

He made a new family. He never contacted my Mom again. I learned that he decided to quit the RCMP.  He went into a new business. 

Over the years, I was very angry with him but I never saw him to tell him how I felt. I was very bitter and I hated him for leaving us. I always hoped that I would meet him.

I thought he was buried in Regina, SK, but now I read in your database that he's buried in Calgary.

I am married and I have a young son of my own. I have told him about my Dad being in the RCMP and about leaving Mom. I also told him how much I hated my father.

Many years have now passed by and I want to visit his grave in Calgary. I have decided to fly to Calgary and I am taking my son.

I want to forgive my Dad. I want my son to hear me say at my Dad's grave that I'm sorry. It's time to let the past go. I will never know why my Dad left us.

'Maintain Our Memories'

J. J. Healy,
Reg.#23685

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685