Sunday, May 30, 2010

Reg. #11116, Cst. Donald McBeth

Stained glass in RCMP Chapel 
Accidental death of Reg.#11116, D. Mcbeth
Dear Buffalo Joe;

My family has some RCMP winter service mittens that were owned by Cst. D McBeth. We understand that he drowned in Saskatchewan in the 30's. Family lore had it that he was accompaning the march of the unemployed from Vancouver down east. We think he was otherwise stationed in the 'north'.

I would like to donate the mittens to the museum in Fort Macleod, but I would like to be more sure of my facts before I approach them. Can you give me any help?

Yours truly,

Doug Wells
Email: dewells@agt.net
Reply to Mr. Doug Wells
Dear Friend,

Thank you for your note.

I went to Veteran Jack White's History files to determine the way in which Reg.#11116 Donald McBeth died: Vet. White states: "On August 4th, 1935, off duty Reg.#11116 McBeth canoeing with Reg.#11195 Mast at Regina Beach when sudden wind storm upset canoe. Members swimming toward shore and propelling canoe, when McBeth suddenly sank. Despite efforts of Reg.#11195 & other swimmers, his body was not found until 12 hours later.

Cst. McBeth is buried at the RCMP Cemetery at 'Depot' Div., Block A, Row 1 Plot 8."

If I can help you further, please let me know. Prompted by your e-mail, I have updated Cst. McBeth's database file.

I would be deeply appreciative if you would send me a snapshot of the RCMP mittens so that I can add the photo to Cst. McBeth's file

Yours truly,

Joe
#23685

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your note. Please be assured that I will reply, but some e-mails require a little more research and time or reflection. If your comment hinges on policy for graves, the e-mail may have to be referred to the RCMP for an authoritative response.

*You may check this blog for your e-mail as well as my reply.
Yours truly,

BuffaloJoe
Reg.#23685